Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pink Floyd Cover Band Lights Up The Stage


When I hear the name Pink Floyd nothing but good things flood my mind. I grew up listening to these guys (thanks to my father) and in some weird way I feel like they've shaped my childhood.

It was 1965 and London was in the middle of its swingin' 60s era when four young men decided to put their heads together and make music only to be described as Avante-Garde. But before I go on I have to say, isn't just amazing to see bands still together after 40 years of music-making?

Anyway, I had no idea how or why they got their name but MSN music gave me the downlow. Basically, they took two first names from ancient bluesmen, PINK Anderson and FLOYD Council.

I learned that at first the music springing from their instruments wasn't exactly reminiscent of their later, more outlandish songs but instead stuck to the typical "rock and R&B material that were so common to the repertoires of mid-'60s British bands." It wasn't until they began experimenting did they find their own tune and thank God they did. I don't know what I'd do without "A Brick In The Wall" or "Dark Side of the Moon."

Unfortunately as many bands moved into the 1980s their type of music wasn't well received. For example, the 1983 release of "The Final Cut" had "little of the electronic innovation so typical of their previous work" as AOL music puts it.

As most of know however, the REAL Pink Floyd has vowed never to work together again but you can still get your fix by buying tickets to The Australian Pink Floyd show. Yes sorry to burst your bubble but trust me, these guys are actually pretty good.

Catch them December 1 in Miami at the Jackie Gleason Theater at 8 p.m. Tickets range $35 to $47.50 which isn't really that bad. If you won't go I will!

No comments: